Thursday, October 11, 2012

A star is born

The end of my pregnancy was arduous.

Pre-eclampsia snuck up on me, and my due date came and went. In a classic case of misplaced trust I followed the doctors' advice and was induced three days after my due date. However Luke was not ready to greet the world. He did not budge and after 12 hours of start and stop contractions his heart rate began to decelerate. The decision was made to perform an emergency c-section. I was deeply saddened over this outcome since I had pictured a very different birth experience.

My sadness over the change in events was quickly eclipsed by the most intense and profound love I'd ever felt...

Lucas Robert Heath arrived at 7:35 A.M. on November 10, 2007, weighing 9.5 pounds, and measuring 21 inches long. He was beautiful.

Lucas ~ 3 hours old

Bright-eyed and winsome
Happy little-big guy in his Bumbo

1 comment: